Big Blue Door is central Virginia’s only genuine longform improv comedy program. We teach the techniques of listening and responding that allow performers to build hilarious, powerful, and truthful scenes. For the scenes to inspire and build on one another they’re presented in longer format, a long form, made up of multiple scenes.
The first widely-popular “longform” was the Harold. Here’s how it works:
- Suggestion. The performers get a suggestion from the audience, often a single word.
- Opening. The performers play an opening game that generates ideas from the word. For instance they might tell some true stories that the word inspires.
- Scene 1A. Two performers create a scene inspired by the early part of opening game.
- Scene 2A.Two performers create a second scene by the middle part of opening game.
- Scene 3A.Two performers create a third scene by the later part of the opening game.
- Group Scene. All the performers create a group scene.
- Scene 1B. The ensemble returns to the first scene or the characters from the first scene.
- Scene 2B.The ensemble returns to the second scene or the characters from the second scene.
- Scene 3B.The ensemble returns to the third scene or the characters from the third scene.
- Group Scene. All the performers create a second group scene.
- Scenes 1C, 2C, 3,C. (In any order) The ensemble jumps from quick scene to quick scene tying together the various characters, storylines, and themes.
Want to see how it works in practice? Come see our show this Thursday!
BIG BLUE DOOR: IMPROV NIGHT
The third Thursday of every month Big Blue Door creates hilarious longform improv with an ever-changing roster of styles and groups. May’s Improv Night features two awesome graduate ensembles presenting their class showcase!
1301 Harris St
Thursday, May 19th
Show starts at 7pm!